It’s hard to prove love for a city that has been on the decline since I was born. I can say I love the community I grew up in, but who would understand? Marshall Mathers, or as others know him best, Eminem, took part in a great commercial spot, promoting Chrysler, but in turn, giving a shout-out to the Motor City, and the classic urban charm it has to offer. In addition to sharing the YouTube clip of the commercial, I thought I’d share my top 5 list of my Motor City favorites.
Top 5 Things I Love About Detroit
- Vernor’s – No one understands Ginger Ale unless they’ve tried Vernor’s. It is Michigan’s cure to an upset stomach, and the perfect way to make dessert drinks of ice cream and soda.
- The Michigan Left – The only perk to driving on a Michigan road (well, that, and turning right on red (unless where otherwise noted)).
- The Great Lakes – I’m by no means an “outdoorsy” kind of girl, however, there is nothing more beautiful than starting out the summer with a trip to Lake Michigan.
- The Woodward Dream Cruise – OK, I hate it when I’m at home and can’t cross Woodward during this weekend in August, and really most of the summer, but at the same time, it shows such a sense of pride in Michigan’s auto background.
- Greek Town – My dad’s parents used to take us to Greek Town all the time, and we’d go on the monorail, eat at Pegasus, and enjoy our trip away from the ‘burbs. I still enjoy going down to Greek Town when I’m home, and was lucky enough to spend a pre-birthday dinner with family there this year.